'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 23 March 2008

Terry Pratchett


Photo from BBC website

Time for a plug.  I've restrained myself up until now but cannot any longer.  My favourite author.

I'm reading another of his books at the moment.  It's ostensibly a children's book, but, like the best children's books, this one is for adults too.  
It's by Terry Pratchett and is entitled Wintersmith.  It features a young girl who could be a role model for us all.  Tiffany Aching is kind, sensible, moral and has many practical skills.  (She makes wonderful cheeses and is very good at lambing time "small hands can get inside and untangle things.")  She is able to stick up for herself, yet happy to learn and take advice when needed, listening carefully and then making up her own mind.  She is philosophical about her own and others' limitations.  She is only thirteen yet does not slavishly follow fashions, preferring dark green to her peer's black clothing.  She can be firmly assertive if she feels she is being manipulated, yet persuasive and helpful to those in need.  She likes reading and keeps a dictionary to look up unknown words.

She is also a trainee witch, the god of winter is in love with her, and she is followed around by a bunch of brave, tough, tattooed Scottish pictsies called the Nac Mac Feegle who have sworn to protect her.

Terry Pratchett is one of the most clever, funny and readable writers ever.


2 comments:

  1. I agree. Was I into them first? I don't remember. All I do now is read them once someone else has finished.

    I read Thud a week or so ago once Steven had finished, very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas, I think it was indeed you who put me onto TP...BTW I have some audio CD's now too - read by the inimitable Tony Robinson (Baldrick).

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.