'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Wednesday 26 March 2008

Wealth




I was talking to my son last night and he made a passing comment about a previous landlord being rather well-off, although only in his early thirties.  Unmarried, has a lucrative business, and owns about three houses plus the one he lives in.  I reminded him of some other less positive comments he had made about this man, and he replied "That's probably why."

Many of the 'you can do it' type books - specifically the ones that say anyone can be rich - refer to 'goal visualisation', 'cultivating relationships', 'working hard', 'single-mindedness' and so on.  

I agree with them.  I believe they work.  Anyone can be rich.  You just have to focus on it to the exclusion of anything else.  Like, being kind?

I think the need to be rich is almost always replaced by something else far more important, long before you get there.  

I hope so, anyway.

Like on a warm autumn day, packing up the car with buckets and children and going blackberry-picking, then coming home and baking a pie with them and eating it with home-made ice cream.

Balance.


"Let parents bequeath to their children not riches, but the spirit of reverence."
- Plato

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.