'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Saturday 30 August 2008

One of Us



"It was so much easier to blame it on Them.  It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us.  If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault.  If it was Us, what did that make Me?  After all, I'm one of Us.  I must be.  I've never thought of myself as one of Them.  No one every thinks of themselves as one of Them.  We're always one of Us.  It's Them that do all the bad things."

- Terry Pratchett, Jingo.

Disclaimer:  No slight intended to people who are members of bowling clubs.  It was one of the few photos I had that showed people whose faces  would not be recognisable.  However, if you  are a member of a bowling club, or indeed any other  club, university, ministry, corporate body, group, band, ethnic group, religion, territory, country, state, sect, militia, faction, organisation, business, school, committee, neighbourhood, sport, council, board of directors, PTA or trailer park, and you blame Them, then  consider yourself slighted.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous30.8.08

    I love Terry Pratchett. He has a way of unwrapping the motive and psychology behind the most commonplace things. I love the way his prose is layered with references that you might miss on a first reading, too.

    That one is right on the money. Whoever thinks of themselves as One of Them?

    Have you read Making Money? I'm just getting started on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read 'em all. I own them all. I love 'em all... some just better than others.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc94kG5Sw1w

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.