'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Tuesday 22 June 2010

My Vermeer Frog


The countdown to the end of term critique day is on again.
This fellow is about a metre across. I'm trying to work my scale up to the point when I can tackle an 8 x 4 mural on an outside wall next term. this will be a challenge! I usually work small, with small brushes.
S'cuse the light bounce in the top right.


6 comments:

  1. Oh, I should have mentioned that he's done in acrylics on unstretched canvas. Lots of thin transparent glazing layers, like the old masters. The only opaque paint on this is the white highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really don't know what to say (and most of my friends would not believe that!). If I had seen that in a gallery I'd have glanced at the frog. Because you've placed it in front of me and explained a bit about the technique I've looked more closely and given it some thought. And I've tied a knot in my finger so that when I next go into a gallery and think about passing a picture by, I'll look more closely (unless it's a Hockney!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This little fellow looks real enough to jump right through the screen!

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. GB.... THank you for your comment. The context and technique are part of any work, I think. But interesting you exclude Hockney. Remind me to tell you about a book he has written. It might change your mind.

    Robert. Thank you, thank you. The intent was indeed for realism. This time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elizabeth25.6.10

    My that frog has served you well, Katherine. I hope you're paying him a good fee!
    Wonderful picture. Can't wait to see the mural. How do you scale up? Projector? Surely not the old squares method? x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Elizabeth, the frog is quite worn out from posing.
    I'll use an OHP I think (Overhead Projector). Or possibly a data projector. I won't be able to project it all at once because there is another building about 15 metres away. It's all going to be a learning curve!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.