'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Friday 6 January 2012

Lilies


It rained and rained. We stayed inside and watched it fall and wondered what had happened to summer.


But outside, the perfumed Asiatic lilies were loving the abundant water and the soft skies, and I've never seen them look so spectacular. These are almost as tall as me, ie five foot four and three-quarters.



But at last today the sun has come out.



I am fascinated by the gentle offering of the open trumpets...


The sublime lime and white graduations and colour contrasts - fresh, calm and soft...


The wonderful textures on the petals: veins, ribs, notches and nodules...


The delicious, coffee-rust powdery stamens...



And finally, this is my inadequate attempt to show you what this heavenly lily's fragrance is like. The closest I can come is a cross between the angel Gabriel, sunshine, and lemons...


6 comments:

  1. If I were a bee I'd be full of lust at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, your powers of empathy are great indeed. If you were German, you might be feeling Einfühlungsvermögen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know about the Einfühlungsvermögen but at least I have Sprachgefühl....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indeed, Robert. As 'Billy' bears out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a capacity for enabling me to see things I might not always stop and see in such detail. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geeb. Welcome. Ditto!

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.