'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Sunday 5 February 2012

Silhouette


My photo challenge entry today comes under the heading 'silhouette'.

This is dusk in the deep south of New Zealand; heading south-west out of Invercargill past the airport. It was late November last year, and so must have been about 9.45 pm.

Invercargill is New Zealand's most southerly city. After Wellington, it's the windiest, and, surprisingly to many kiwis (who visualise their country as being roughly north-south in orientation), it's also the most westerly city.

At latitude 46º 25' south, Invercargill's northern hemisphere equivalent is approximately a line through the centre of France.

Click for the full effect.

2 comments:

  1. I'd never worked it out that we were that far North.

    I clicked and got the full effect and it was really worth it (or should that have been 'it really was worth it'?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes GB. Hawkes Bay where I grew up, is about equivalent to Madrid. I think it's the influence of the Gulf Stream, mainly, that makes Europe and the British Isles so pleasantly habitable. Although they may disagree at the moment.

    I seem to recall that the adjective should go as close to its verb as possible. So the second one is better? Robert? YP? Brian?

    ReplyDelete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.