'I'm always looking for the Hows and the Whys and the Whats,' said Muskrat, 'That is why I speak as I do. You've heard of Muskrat's Much-in-Little, of course?'
'No,' said the child. 'What is it?'
- The Mouse and his Child. Russell Hoban.

Go here to find out more.

Thursday 16 April 2015

Little Lesson

Yesterday I bumped against the wardrobe doors I had recently repainted. It was remarkable how little effort was required to continue the scratch.
So I have learnt not to try and short-cut by painting over a really good paint job, without a good sand to roughen it up.
It also takes a lot longer when one has to sand off the bad top coat.
It's quite interesting to see how the gold pattern has held hands with both the lower and upper coats, however. As I sand, it is very happy to stay affixed.






6 comments:

  1. I empathize with you Kate. I am in the middle of a big project myself involving repairing and painting. There is an old saying that is a cliche, but correct none the less - that is : 'A finished paint job is only as good as its preparation.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Alden. It was only the doors that proved unprepared. I'm trying to remember what I put on them last time ...

      Delete
  2. You could do something very interesting with that. I would be tempted to play with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have decided to leave them in their interesting 'distressed' state for the meantime Cro. But yes, it would be a possible textural addition to a painting somehow...

      Delete
  3. A texture to make my skin tingle in appreciation. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jinksy! Trouble is, it's a bit like some of my culinary successes, I wish I could remember how I did it!

      Delete

Spam will go in the incinerator. All other comments are gratefully received. Communication is what makes the world go 'round.